Well hi there, 2013. You’re off to a somewhat slow start.
Holidays are taken very seriously in this part of the world. I think it has something to do with the fact that schools are out for the summer and parents are busy with their little kidlets, but I honestly think everything closes down for about two weeks after Christmas.
Even the restaurants and cafes- and if you can’t get “a coffee” around here, that’s a very big deal.
So here’s to 2013! A few goals:
– Become more goal-oriented and improve my follow-through.
– See more live shows.
– Start reading again: at least 2 books a month. (I cringe at this number when I think about how much literature I used to consume, eek. It’s a starting point.)
– Volunteer on a somewhat regular basis.
– LEARN THE MANDOLIN.
– Deepen my infant photography hobby.
– Maintain a garden for more than a few weeks.
– Stop multitasking and become more present and focused. Start meditating. Chill out.
Are resolutions cheesy? Maybe. Case in point, the inevitable eager January gym bunnies who clear out by mid-Feb. I don’t know, though.
I like goals. I like progress. I want to improve and finesse, I think there’s something really brilliant about the obstinate commitment to pursue something better. So many of us will fail, but what about the ones that don’t? And even when we do, I think we always learn something or somehow become better people along the way.
“For last year’s words belong to last year’s language
And next year’s words await another voice.” -T.S. Eliot